Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; And confirm for us the work of our hands; Yes, confirm the work of our hands.
Psalm 90:17

Sunday, August 17, 2008

So, getting back in the swing-

Now that a much anticipated trip to Disney is done (thankyouthankyouthankyou Daddy) it's time to get back in the swing of frantic summer sewing and ebaying before it's time to start school. The ebaying is to raise money for a new sewing machine, the sewing is for everything that has been waiting. I have two major drawbacks when it comes to sewing time. One is procrastination. I gots it. Bad. The second is a little harder to deal with and that is that I can't let myself sew when I have something else that has to be done. Like laundry. Or dishes. Or a new front porch. For some reason, I think it's because sewing time is 'my' time I feel like I can't allow myself to enjoy it unless it's absolutely free time. Since I live in an almost 100 year old house with several other people, most who call me "Mom", I ALWAYS have something that needs to be done. If a get a sewing job that is time-critical; that I can justify. But sewing for me?

Right now I MUST finish a project that has me both thrilled and scared to death. I 'met' a sweet young woman online that wanted a costume based on a cartoon superhero from the eighties. Anyone remember She-Ra? Well this new friend desperately wanted this costume and I desperately wanted the challenge of creating her, since no commercial pattern is available. (And yeah, I'm probably breaking some copyright law but I'm not producing them to sell, just for one Halloween costume and there's no profit involved so I figure Mattel won't come after me.) So I've been piecing She-Ra together for the past few months a little bit at a time as time and inspiration allow. I've played with different ways of doing her breastshield, spent hours toying with satin to make good arm bands--- stuff like that. Fortunately my She-Ra-to-be has been very patient but it's time to stop diddling and get this gal delivered! My fear is that after all this time the costume will fail and all will be for naught. Even though I've sent women down the aisle in the dress of their dreams I still worry my work won't satisfy. I hope that is what makes my work good and I never become complacent.
(On a side note: my friend recently found a commercially produced costume that looks like She-Ra's. Of course they can't call it that. But how ironic is it that as I'm putting this one together a ready-made one appears out of nowhere. It's not like there's been a "Return of the Masters of the Universe" released. Or has there?)

No comments: