Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; And confirm for us the work of our hands; Yes, confirm the work of our hands.
Psalm 90:17

Monday, May 30, 2011

Killin' Time Between Scenes-


I did a bunch of cleaning/ re-organizing last week (the usual routine when I finish a show and get ready to start another)and this time I bagged fabrics with the quilting magazine that has the project they will go to. I wound up with a pile of scraps that didn't go into a Bottled Rainbows block but were still fun so I decided to use 'em to finally try English paper piecing. I don't know why the idea of wrapping fabric around a piece of paper, basting it, and whip stitching them together was appealing to me but I've wanted to try it for quite awhile. I discovered it is the kind of repetitive, doesn't require close attention process that is perfect for filling time between scenes at the theatre. As with "Leaving Iowa", I have long stretches of time between backstage duties at "Into the Woods" so I packed a sewing bag with scraps, pre-cut papers, needle, thread and scissors. I make myself comfy on a sofa in the green room and I cover away. I found a couple of patterns that can use these 1 7/8 (I think) hexagons. Most of 'em may work their way into a quilt for the new grandbaby. Did I mention I get to finally make some RUFFLES?!!!

I also bought a template from the Missouri Star Quilt Company for making 5" tumbler blocks. I've had my eye on it for a little while as a way to bust some of this stash. This beauty from the Empress ( ;) ) convinced me to go for it! http://imperamagna.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Donna said...

How interesting Mickey! I'd love to try that! Sounds like a fascinating process. So where are the photos?? :)

Just teasing.

xo
Donna