Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; And confirm for us the work of our hands; Yes, confirm the work of our hands.
Psalm 90:17

Thursday, January 16, 2014

*giggle* BOM *giggle* Time!

I'm not sure why the quilter's acronym "BOM" makes me giggle but it does. Why, after all these years, do I still have to stop and think about what it means? Maybe there was something else it meant back in my Navy days that has left my cognitive memory but there's still a reaction. I don't know, but I do know the only BOM I have ever participated in was "Bottled Rainbows" and while the quilt is sandwiched and pinned it is not yet finished. That's not really a surprise--- I really don't enjoy the quilting part of quilting. I like piecework. Which is why, when I did the after Christmas clean up, I found I have about 8 tops and three sandwiches waiting to be finished. That's another post. Today's is for a new BOM I decided to join. It's a mystery, don't know what it's going to be when it's done but it caught me because it is based on 2 1/2" squares. I adore 2 1/2" squares. They are my favorite size and shape to play with, just slightly ahead of the 1 1/4" hexies I've been working on for three years or so, off and on. Any scrap I can get a 2 1/2" square out of, I do. And this is my storage for them:



This jar held a dozen of the most delicious, hand-made ice cream cones from a famous ice creamery named "Doumar's". It's just a few miles down the road in Norfolk, VA. and it's founder claims to be the one who invented ice cream cones at the St. Louis Exposition  in 1904. I think several people make the claim, I don't really care who did it first, I'm just grateful for the ice cream cone. But an added bonus of storing the squares in the jar is they all smell heavenly when I sift through 'em. But, anyway---the BOM. Cindy Staub of Quilt Doodle Designs is offering this sweet winter themed mystery BOM and I'm in. The first block is up and I am delighted that it is seven sweet snowmen. Half my Christmas decorations are snowmen themed so I know this will be a winner. Here's my January block; looking forward to see what February brings!

 
I used a blender from M'Liss Rae Hawley for the blue and some snowflake white-on-white I had in stash~


 
A scrap of orange for the noses and I opted for a flat-backed craft button for the eyes. I positioned the eyes and noses in a wonky way because I like any opportunity to use the word 'wonky'.
 
 
Bonus--- I got to use one of DH's brilliant Christmas gifts to fuse the noses in place! He is such a smart man to know exactly how to read my Christmas wish list. I asked for one thing from the list-- he bought them all plus some. Yes. I'm keeping him.
 

No comments: