Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; And confirm for us the work of our hands; Yes, confirm the work of our hands.
Psalm 90:17

Friday, January 20, 2012

Learning Lessons...a DUFUS Fail

Project DUFUS has found me stumped this week. While I made great progress on Leia's quilt (a UFO), I found this project to use up some scraps; maybe a FQ or two. 

http://evapaigequiltdesigns.blogspot.com/2012/01/scrappy-new-year-new-group-quilt-needs.html

Beth's 12 1/2" block project seemed like a fun way to play and use scraps so I contacted her Sunday morning. By Sunday afternoon I had the directions and had pulled a bunch of fabric for my blocks. I made four on Tuesday, convinced I was going to whip right through them and get 'em back to her in record time. Don't they look nice?



 Except---- they're wrong! Once I trimmed the off-edges I was a good 1/2'' short all around! Where did I go wrong? Well, first, I was so eager to get started I didn't take the time to switch my wavy blade to the straight on my rotary cutter. I figure that threw things off. Then, maybe my seam allowance was a little too much. So I double checked. Maybe I was in too much of a hurry and cut the pieces wrong. And so I went back into the lil' cave and dug out more fabric. Beth's blocks call for fabrics in one color family so for these blocks I chose fabrics I wanted to use for myself. I figured I'll just make 'em up to work out the bugs and save the colorways for the swap.


The blocks did come out a little better, I think, but I'm still off 1/4". This is the *sigh* I referred to in my previous post. What am I doing wrong? Careful cutting according to the pattern, 'scant' 1/4" seams, pressing every step---check, check and check. Anyone have any ideas before I make the same mistakes again? BTW-- my blocks look a little 'curvy' here because I photographed them on the back of a sofa. My cutting table~ aka 'our bed'~ was being used for sleeping at 0:darkthirty this morning when I took these.
Tonight is the Friday Night Sew-In-- I'd love to work on more of these blocks but I'll probably have to be costuming since I spent so much costume time on blocks this week! Dress rehearsal on Sunday! WooHoo!

No comments: