Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; And confirm for us the work of our hands; Yes, confirm the work of our hands.
Psalm 90:17

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What not to do when you're busy~


  I've heard it said 'When life gives you lemons; make lemonade'. While I get the sentiment, I always thought that unless you get sugar, too, it's going to be lousy lemonade. But that's neither here nor there and has nothing to do with this post. I just thought of it because it kinda goes along with today's other thought: When you're already busy, don't take on more stuff! For goodness sake, I need to put my "no" button in a more reachable place.

On the docket this month is:
-new school lessons
-turning 51(this one happens without any real effort on my part)
-beginning work on "Aida"
-beginning work on "Portrait of a Nude"
-the Doll Quilter's Monthly mini quilt
-ongoing (intended for Christmas) projects
-running the lightboard for 'my' theatre; three shows each weekend
-breathing and sleeping. And eating. But I always find time to eat. Not a problem.

So when Sewing Mamas opened up a Fall doll quilt swap I said sure. I mean, I'm already making one--what's one more? Right?

Right. I'm nuts. But at least I'm a sensible nut. I had already planned to make two of the same quilt because I like the pattern I chose and I wanted to keep one for myself.  I've already started them; they're progressing well, so I think it best I just take a picture for my quilt album and pass both minis along in the swap. Photos when they're done.

I received this beauty for the August swap from Leonie in Germany.

 It is gorgeous and the quilting---oh, I wish I could get my stitches so perfect! I hinted at the quilt I was making for her in my "I. Hate. Diamonds."  rant. I hesitated to show the finished quilt because she hasn't received it yet (as far as I know) and also because I'm embarrassed. It was my first attempt at a Lone Star and to say it is wonky is being kind. I had to do all kinds of crazy adjusting to get that sucker to lie flat and it will never will any prizes for symmetry or matching points. It's also bigger than I thought it was going to be. I think the best lessons I took away from the project were that things will always take longer than you think and, for goodness sake, keep it simple when you're on a deadline!
 

Anyway, I hope it makes to Leonie safely (I may have messed up her address, on top of everything else.). Time for rehearsal...

...did I mention ( I know I didn't yet, I'm 51, I'm not that far gone) that Jacie auditioned for a role in "Portrait" and she got it! She's playing a British schoolboy and is tickeled to death that once again she has thwarted having to wear a dress or look at all feminine. Auditioning was her idea, she went through the whole audition/callback process and earned it. Mama is proud. :)

 Oh--- the top picture? Gratuitous picture of Kal-El and Leia--  I made whipped cream and suddenly I was the most popular Nannie in the house! Can you believe Leia will be one year old next month?

1 comment:

Lisa Laree said...

Ooo, our high school did Aida about 4 years ago; wow...I hope you have LOTS of help! ;-)